Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy
Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy, (REBT) is, based on the idea from the ancient Greek philosopher, Epictetus who back in the 1st century A.D. which stated, “People are disturbed not by things but by the views they take of them.”
More recently, in 1955, psychologist Dr. Albert Ellis developed an entire system of psychotherapy largely based on this key idea which eventually was called Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy. Over the past 55 plus years, this approach to life has helped tens of thousands of individuals around the world to free themselves from anxiety, depression, addiction, fear and many other of life’s most challenging and difficult problems.
The main principles of REBT include:
– How you think largely determines how you feel.
– You can’t change the past so you had better focus on changing what you can control: your own thoughts, attitudes and beliefs.
– You don’t need to understand your past. You do need to understand how your thoughts determine your feelings.
– There is no “unconscious: There are automatic thoughts we think that we are not aware of.
– Early childhood events shape your behaviors but don’t determine how you choose to view them.
– Thoughts and attitudes can be “helpful or hurtful”.
– You can change your beliefs regardless of what they are and how long you have held them.
– Clients learn to increase their awareness between events, thoughts and feelings.
– Clients learn how to examine their thoughts.
– Clients learn to challenge and change their thoughts when it is appropriate to do so.
– The therapist is a teacher, coach, guide, counselor and advisor and takes an active role in helping clients change for the better.
– The client’s role is to be an active participant in the session and engage in follow up work, exercises and “experiments” outside of the session.
– A goal of REBT is not just to temporarily feel better but to actually be better.
– REBT is goal oriented and has a beginning, middle and end.
– Most people do not need to be on medications to change their thinking or their behaviors.
Dr. Robert Heller trained in REBT directly with its founder, Dr. Ellis in 1980-81 and was awarded certification as a post doctoral fellow and certified supervisor in REBT. Over the past 30 plus years, he has helped hundreds of men, women, children and adolescents live happier, healthier and more fulfilling lives.
Many of his clients have visited other therapists and other therapies for years before receiving the help they were searching for from Dr. Heller. Call now and see how REBT may be of help to you and/ or your loved ones. Dr Robert Heller’s practice is in Boca Raton, Florida. He can be reached at 561 451-2731.